Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
Ville a l'Eveque
- Ville a L'Eveque Cottage
Ruette de la Ville a L'Eveque, Trinity
Type of property
Historic farm complex
- La Maison de la Ville a l'Eveque sold for £595,000 in 2001
Families associated with the property
- 1723 EN ♥ MDG - For Edouard Nicolle and Marguerite de Gruchy, who married in 1701.The couple had no children and the house passed to Edouard's sister Marguerite, who married Jean Messervy, after which it remained in the Messervy family until the late 20th century.
- 17 PNC ♥ MLQ 96 - For Philippe Nicolle and Marguerite Le Quesne, who married in 1793 in St Helier
- 1895 AMSV ♥ MDG - For Albert Messervy and Mary de Gruchy
- 1718 stone disappeared during 20th century renovations
Historic Environment Record entry
A 16th century Jersey rural house with a good survival of original interior and exterior features, including a rare example of an early window. The property maintains its historic character and integrity as a group.
Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795. Group of farm buildings consisting of five-bay, two-storey main house with three-bay, two-storey dower wing to the west.
Elliptical arch into yard, farm buildings, two-storey, two-bay cottage and outbuildings.
Main house: Front (south) elevation: Slate roof. Ashlar chimneys. 3 new box dormers. Random rubble with stone quoins.
Jersey round arch at centre with thick shoulder stones, heightened by one course. Single bay extension on east side at first floor level.
Archway over garden door is likely late 16th/early 17th century. Two extra stones (Mont Mado quarry) have been introduced to give it extra height. This work would have been carried out at the same time as the windows were enlarged to accept sash windows probably mid-18th century. Fleur-de-lis carving on the large stone on the west side of the arch. Rendering was "a la mode" at the end of the 19th century because it was thought to be very low class to show stone on the face of buildings. The stonework of the western end of the building is likely to be of inferior quality.
Chimney stacks are same date as window surrounds, 18th century. Pots are threepenny bit Victorian design. Ground floor west end likely same date as main house and would have had a fireplace at the western end. Main house would have had fireplace at east end at ground floor level, not at west end. This end would have had a fireplace at first floor level.
Little original window on Northern side of the building has original oak frame and mullion intact. Remains of central bars are also evident. There would have been no glass but shutters on the inside. There is a doorway which would have been at the top of a tourelle staircase, further evidence of the age of the house. Archway dated 1866 over the barn doorway.
Old Jersey Houses
Two houses which stood side by side in Trinity were both called Ville a L'Eveque, but difficulty with postal deliveries led to one being Anglicised to Bishopstown,
Neither was the home of a bishop, nor did a bishop live in the wider Trinity vingtaine which is also called Ville a l'Eveque. The answer is that this area is part of the Fief de l'Eveque d'Avranches. The Marets, who once owned the fief in Trinity, moved to St Lawrence and built Avranches Manor.
These properties are, in part, very old. Geffrey Nicolle, who died in 1537, and whose will survives, lived in one of the houses. Denis Nicolle, who was witness to a relative's inventory in 1560, also lived here.
Bishopstown was also a Nicolle property.