Origins of surname
The Sangan family in Jersey can, like so many others of Breton origin, trace their ancestry to Ploeuc-sur-Lie in the Cotes d'Armor department of north Brittany. However, we have been unable to find any mention of the derivation of the name in either our French or British sources.
It is possible that it is connected to sang, the French for blood. That would be supported by suggestions that the name may be derived from sanguin, meaning both 'blood red' and 'cheerful, 'bright' and 'optimistic'.
The name first appears in island records in the 1850s. It is believed that at least four members of the same Ploeuc-sur-Lie family, which is shown in the family tree below came to Jersey at different times and established families in the island.
But the first arrival, who settled in St Mary, has not yet been identified
There are Sangans in Jersey today, probably descended from only one, or perhaps two, of the original immigrants.
- Sangan baptisms in Jersey
- Sangan marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Sangan marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Sangan burials in Jersey
Great War service
- Peter Edward Sangan (1844-1916) Sergeant RFA, killed in action
- John Francis Sangan (1899- ) (St H) Stoker RN, HMS Victory X
- Franks Sangan MM (1882- ) (St H) son of Yves Francois and Marie Louise Soudain, Corporal, Royal Irish Rifles, wounded
- Emile Henry Sangan (1881- ) (St H) son of Francois and Marie St Oger, husband of Josephine Toudic, Private, Hampshire Regiment
- Sangan Occupation identity cards
- Gladys Josephine Bewhay, nee Sangan, convicted of serious larceny and sent to an unknown prison in France
These wills created by members of the Sangan family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Azeline Sangan, 28 David Place, St Helier - 23 August 1946, D/Y/A/116
- Jean Sangan, Maison St Marculf, Green Street, St Helier - 11 January 1937, D/Y/A/100
- Pierre Sangan, Welton House, Vingtaine des Pigneaux, St Saviour - 22 March 1930, D/Y/A/90
- Jeanne Sangan, wife of Jean Ropert, Val de La Mare, St Peter - 21 August 1944, D/Y/A/112
- Marie Sangan, wife of Francis Johnson, 17, Parade Place, St Helier - 01 July 1939, D/Y/A/105
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
Since August 2020 we have added several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form