Robin Hood Hotel

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search
The bread riot of 1847 outside the Robin Hood Tavern

Standing as it does on a busy crossroads on St Helier's ring road, hemmed in by the island capital's urban sprawl, the Robin Hood, although actually quite an attractive three-storey town house, hardly attracts a second glance.

Yet, in 1847, this hostelry was the scene of a riot, when frustrated islanders' protests against the rising cost of bread boiled over into a full-scale riot, which was only brought under control when garrison troops were called in.

The Robin Hood was used as a temporary prison as police arrested rioters, who were later transferred to the Gloucester Street prison and then brought before the Royal Court. The following month the taverned was burned down and eventually the present building was built in its place.

Later in the 19th century the Robin Hood was a terminus for the penny omnibus - the horse-drawn carriages which provided a service throughout the town of St Helier.

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs