Origins of surname
This is an English surname believed to originate in a Devon village which has long since disappeared. This in turn was derived from the old English personal name Puda, a nickname for a stout person, and leah, a farm in a clearing in a wood, giving Pydda’s farm, or the fat man’s farm.
This name first appeared in the St Helier baptism register in 1834 with the baptism of James, the first child of ten of James Pugsley and Ann Steer
- Pugsley baptisms in Jersey
- Pugsley marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Pugsley marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Pugsley burials in Jersey
Great War service
- Philip George Pugsley (1882- ) (St H) ex-RMIJ, Gunner, Canada
- Thomas Jeune Pugsley (1881- ) (St H), Sergeant, RGA
These wills created by members of the Pugsley family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Pugsley : Albert William , of 219, Kingston Road, Staines, Middlesex - 13/Nov/1975 , 13/Nov/1975 , D/Y/B1/231/14
- Pugsley : Hannah Rachel , of The Limes Nursing Home, Green Street, St Helier and formerly of 16, York Street, St Helier - 07/May/1963 , 03/Oct/1972 , D/Y/B1/180/52
- Pugsley : Mervyn Geoffrey , of No 32, Poonah Road, St Helier - 14/Apr/1962 , 30/May/1978 , D/Y/B1/280/4
- Pugsley : Rhoda Eunice , widow of Garnet Victor Brown, of 16, York Street, St Helier - 07/May/1963 , 18/Feb/1969 , D/Y/B1/129/15
- Pugsley : Thomas Jeune , son of Thomas, of St Clement Desires his funeral to be as simple as possible and no headstone or stonework should be placed on his grave Bequeaths to the Societe Jersiaise, seven half models of ships together with a framed list of ships built by George Deslandes and Son - 01/Jun/1945 , 30/Mar/1955 , D/Y/B1/29/25
Walter Pugsley, born in St Helier in 1877, the son of John and Harriet, nee Marquis. After the death of his first wife, Clarissa, in 1916, he married Mabel Mary Cornish in 1919. His daughter Doris, from his first marriage, had died two years before her mother, and Walter went on to have nine more children with Mabel
1887 advert from L'Almanach de la Gazette de Jersey for William Thomas Pugsley, commission agent
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
Since August 2020 we have added several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form