Origin of Surname
Recorded in several spellings this is a French medieval surname. It would seem to describe a dancer or acrobat who performed pirouettes and other complex dance movements.
It is not a common name in Normandy, although there is the village of Pirou south of Lessay in Manche and some sources suggest that the family was named after it. It is also quite possible that the original Jersey Pirouets came from Brittany.
The name appears very early in Jersey records and the Jersey Chantry Certificate of 1550 contains Johan, Philippes and Thomas.
The family was established in Grouville when church records started and children of seven different fathers were baptised between 1588 and the endof the 16th century.
Earlier known family members include the following:
- Jacques Pirouet was born in St Helier in 1513 and married a Le Geyt
- Another Jacques Pirouet was born in St Helier in 1523
- Bernabe Pirouet was born in Grouville in about 1564 and married Anne there in 1588. They had sons Thomas born in 1589 and Jean born in 1592.
- Jacques Pirouet was born in Grouville in about 1568 and married Pacquette there in 1592.
- Jean Pirouet was born in Grouville about 1570 and married Michelle in 1590. They had sons Jean in 1594, Clement in 1595, Jacques in 1600 and another Jacques in 1604. Daughter Collette was the twin of the first Jacques.
- A second Jean Pirouet was born in Grouville about 1570 and married Guillemette in about 1597. They had sons Ganne, born in 1598, and Philippe in 1600
- A third Jean Pirouet was born in Grouville in 1570 and married Marguerite in 1594. They had a daughter Marie born in 1595.
- Pierre Pirouet was born in Grouville in 1574 and married Christine in 1599
- Drouet Pirouet was born in Grouville in 1576.
- Yet another Jean Pirouet, this time from St Clement, was born in 1585 and married Rachel rossier on 7 November 1621.
- Philippe Pirouet was born in Grouville about 1574 and married Catherine du Parcq there on 19 September 1599
- Jean Pirouet was born in Grouville about 1587 and married Marie Le Febvre there on 18 November 1612
- Pirouet, 1607
- Pyrou 1309
Coats of arms
Pre-1500 Pirouet arms researched by Julian Wilson
- Descendants of Philippe Pirouet
- Descendants of Thomas Pirouet and Helene Anquetil
- Descendants of Jean Pirouet
- Descendants of Jean Pirouet - 2
- Descendants of Jean Pirouet - 3 Added 2023
- Descendants of Jean Pirouet and Alignour Dolbel - 2
- Pirouet baptisms in Jersey
- Pirouet marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Pirouet marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Pirouet burials in Jersey
Great War service
Occupation curfew cards
1927 advert for Thomas Frank Pirouet's Union Street business
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The grave of Great War casualty Arthur John Francis Pirouet at Heilly Station Cemetery, Mericourt-L'Abbe, Near Albert
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
Since August 2020 we have added several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form