Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
7 Library Place
Library Place, St Helier
Type of property
1970s retail and office building. A rare example of a building of this age being listed
No recent transactions
Families associated with the property
- 1901: John Pallot, auctioneer
- 1834: J Damer, silversmith and watchmaker
- 1880: Charles de Ste Croix, auctioneer
- 1886: J G Pallot, auctioneer
- 1925-1930: Central Restaurant
- 1935-1940: Dudley Restaurant
- 1950- : Boutin's travel agency
Historic Environment Record entry
This 1970s retail and office building is an interesting and complete example of the period - such complete examples are rare.
The overall elevational treatment remains strong. It takes influences from the Modern Movement in the horizontal proportions and interlocking planes, while it responds to the local site by reflecting the materials of the old library to the east and the proportions of the bank to the west, so contributing to the overall streetscape. The plan has used the small site footprint efficiently.
Derek Mason was the partner-in-charge and responsible for all the design and detailed drawings and supervising work through to completion.
Set in terrace, three storeys with basement and fourth floor set back.
Original shopfront, with canted entrance, divided horizontally by rail and by sign "Jules Boutin Travel Bureau" with overhanging windows above; further sign suspended from recessed ceiling.
Door giving access to upper floors is at rear of recessed porch; original flush door with two glazed panels. Aluminium panelled showcases to west wall of recessed porch; floor of grey stone matching verticals. The service block, with triangular stairwell giving access to lift and toilets on each floor, is located to the rear of the west party wall; the main office space runs full depth along the east wall. The main stair has thin, square metal balusters with plastic covered metal handrail.
The ground floor has a mezzanine accessed by a spiral stair against the rear wall. The spiral stair has open timber treads, metal rod balusters and plastic coated metal handrail.
The mezzanine balustrade is solid with timber capping, open at floor level, it links a horizontal fascia running under mezzanine windows and which continues along east wall as lighting pelmet. Generally throughout the ceilings are suspended tiles.