No 2 Mulcaster Street

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

2 Mulcaster Street, St Helier


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through


Property name

2 Mulcaster Street


Mulcaster Street, St Helier

Type of property

  • There was a lodging house here in the mid-19th century
  • Built in 1913 as offices for Jersey New Waterworks Company.


There was a lodging house here in the mid-19th centurySold for £3 million in 2006 after Waterworks Company moved their offices to Westmount

Families associated with the property

Census returns

  • 1851: William Le Gros (58), housekeeper, wife Emma and several lodgers
  • 1861: Joseph Coulman (65) ship broker, wife Hannah (55) and grand daughter Fanny (1)
  • 1871: Philip Mauger (42) journeyman

Almanac listings

  • 1880: G Burman, tobacconist
  • 1886: J Jones, ironmongery warehouse [1]
  • 1913 onwards: Jersey New Waterworks Company

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

Edwardian building with an exciting and original classical facade with a bold doorcase flanked by deeply set round headed windows. A good example of the use of local granite.

Built in 1913 as offices for the Jersey New Waterworks Company. The five-bay, three-storey Edwardian building was remodelled in the 1980s.

Roof set behind parapet. Second floor may be a later addition. Snecked stone walls with quoins in a contrasting colour of granite. Ground floor ashlar. Cut stone fascia and cornice between first and second floors. Ground floor windows recessed with arched hood moulding above and panel below, all in stone.

Double leaf, eight panel door in centre.

Notes and references

  1. Not listed between 1880s and reconstruction
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs