Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through email@example.com
16 Library Place
Library Place, St Helier
Type of property
Sold for £3,550,000 in 2007
Families and businesses associated with the property
- 1834:G Scott, china and glass dealer
- 1880-1895: Jersey Banking Company
- 1900-1910: Jersey Commercial Bank, Royal Liver Office
- 1915-1925: Parr's Bank
- 1930-1980: Westminster Bank
- 1990- : NatWest Bank
Historic Environment Record entry
A high quality building and the best example in town of a secular building employing ecclesiastical and Gothic devices, influenced by Ruskin. One of a number of commercial and bank buildings built in a distinct style using local materials in the Victorian period, also forming an important part of Jersey's banking heritage.
Built in 1873 by John Hayward for the Jersey Banking Company and then acquired in 1887 by Robin Brothers of the Jersey Commercial Bank. Corner building on to street, six-bay, two-storey.
All in the Gothic style. First floor windows are grouped in threes or twos with pointed Gothic arches supported by polished granite columns. Leaded light casement windows. Ground floor windows are one pair and one set of three windows with round arches, a central window with a pointed arch. The door on the corner has the word Bank carved in the corbelled stone lintel, coat of arms and pointed arch above, supported by two tier polished granite columns.