Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
- Manoir de Malorey 
- Maloret Manor - as shown in the 1901 census
- Maison de Falle
Charrières de Malorey, St Lawrence
Type of property
18th century farm. There has been a house here since the 14th century
Sold for £900,000 in 2018. On offer for £1,395,000 in 2021
Families associated with the property
There are numerous references through the 16th century, during which the house changed hands many times. On one occasion it is apparently referred to under an alternative name, as la Meson de Falle. Owned by numerous families: Payn, De Carteret, Dumaresq, Hamptonne, Caillet and Bisson.
- Romeril: Owned from 1894 until 2018 by the Romeril family. In 1901 Francis George Romeril (1852- ) and his wife Mary Augustine, nee Poignand (1851- ) were living here with their sons Francis Poignand (1880- ), John (1882- ), Alfred (1884- ) and William (1885- ), daughter Ada (1887- ) and Mary's widowed mother Mary Poignand (1822- )
In 1941 Francis, who later made an agricultural war claim relating to the property, was living here with his wife Glenn Zoe, née Le Cappelain (1898- ) and their children Bruce Le Cappelain Malorey Romeril (1921- ), Graeme Francis de Malorey Romeril (1925- ) and Heather (1927- )
PCL - For Philippe Caillet, who died in 1766
Historic Environment Record entry
A farm group of late 18th / early 19th century appearance - the house with potentially late medieval origins. The name Malorey (which occurs in France and England, in the latter more commonly as Mallory) means 'ill-omened', from the French mal and the Latin augurium. It may have been the nickname, and later the surname, of an early owner: a document of 1582 refers to 'the house which used to belong to Henry, called Mallor'.
Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
The present house is of late 18th-early 19th century appearance, although it is possible that it is late medieval, refaced circa 1800, and not an entirely new building of that period. An oak beam in the east room on the ground floor is potentially 15th century.
The principal building is two storeys, five bays, rectangular form, with granite rubble walls and dressed quoins and surrounds. There are recently replaced painted softwood sash windows, and 20th century extensions to the east and along the rear of the house.
There is a small dormer above the main door and a slate roof.
The interior is of late 19th-early 20th century character. The staircase is early 19th century.
The reception room fireplaces, one marble and one stone, are both likely to be early 20th century.
A range of 19th century combination outbuildings is built into a slope at right angle to the house. The walls are in granite rubble, with brick window and door surrounds, and slate roofs. Former kitchens, coach house and stables with stores above.
Old Jersey Houses
Not included despite likely very early origins
St Lawrence Jersey - a Celebration of our Parish
The earliest document referring to Malorey Manor is a deed of sale of 1387. This certainly makes Malorey one of the earliest recorded properties in the parish, with a name which has remained unchanged over the centuries.
Guillemyn de Garris sold the property to Sire Pierre Payn. A reference was made in the contract to the rights held by a previous owner, Thomas Desmarcans. Sire Pierre was Rector of St Brelade and the owner of Colombier Manor. He died in 1389 and his properties passed to his brother Raulin Payn.
The manorial connection is definite in this first reference, but the exact fief has remained unidentified. The name is derived from the nickname for a man of evil omen, leaving an equally mysterious uncertainty of identity.
Little more is known about Malorey until Laurens Hamptonne bought it in about 1526. The Hamptonne family owned Manor House, in Rue de Bas, and many members were successively seigneurs of the fief Luce de Carteret and several other smaller fiefs. Edouard Hamptonne sold Le Manoir de Malorey in 1599 to the children of Helier Dumaresq of La Haule.
It soon became the property of Edouard Bisson, who had already bought Manor House from his Hamptonne cousin in 1601. The Bisson ownership lasted for four generations until 1719, when Philippe Caillet bought the house, farm and land. In 1800 the attorneys of Jean Mauger, who was living in Charles Town, South Carolina, and was the grandson of Philippe Caillet, sold the property to Jean Bichard of Seaview.
Bichard's younger son inherited the property, but sold it within three years. Eventually in 1894 the property called the Manor of Malorey was bought by Francis George Romeril, and remains with his descendants to this day. It had lost its fief connection some centuries earlier, but had been considerably enlarged by land purchases.
Little remains of the older houses except a stone, incorporated into the granite with the initials PCL
Notes and references
- ↑ The house at Malorey is not associated with any fief, and has hence never been a manor in the traditional sense. It was nevertheless referred to as such from at least the late 14th century: the earliest written reference dates from 1387, when Guillmyn de Garris sold le manoir de Malorey to Sire Pierre Payn, rector of St Brelade.