Little Grove

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

Little Grove, St Lawrence


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through


Property name

Little Grove

Other names

  • Le Petit Grove - Known by this franglais name when both this property and The Grove at the top of the hill above, were in de Gruchy ownership
  • Myrtle Cottage - the original name in 1803


Rue de Haut, St Lawrence

Type of property

1802 country house, then hotel, nursing home, now health centre


The nursing home was sold for £850,000 and the health centre for £1.4 million in 2014. This was after the nursing home closed

Families associated with the property


18 EHM ♥ ALR 03 - For Edouard Hamon and Ann Le Rossignol, who married in 1771 [1]

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

A rural Jersey house with early 19th century origins and alterations in the later 19th century, retaining fine stonework and exterior character. The roadside wall is an interesting Victorian interpretation of the traditional use of arched entrances in Jersey and adds to the overall significance of the property. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

Of historical interest as a 19th century house which illustrates both the architectural fashions of the early 1800s and the later 19th century resurgence of the arch as a principal feature - very much an icon of the Jersey vernacular. Built by Edouard Hamon around 1803, originally called Myrtle Cottage. Owned by the de Gruchy family 1864-1890, who erected the series of traditional roadside arches along Rue de Haut, bearing the de Gruchy arms.

The house was also likely altered in this period, with the insertion of an arched doorway and likely addition of projecting band to chimneystacks. South-facing house with later east and west wings, set back within garden with roadside wall. The principal house is five-bay, two-storey with attic. The slate roof has renewed covering with late 19th century dormers. The dressed granite chimneystacks have an unusual projecting band, which may be a later 19th century addition; raised stonework verges with simple dressed stone gable kneelers. The gutters and side wings have lion-mask detail.

Old Jersey Houses

A brief entry in Vol 2 records the ownership details mentioned by HER


Notes and references

  1. We have not been able to place this couple in any of our Hamon trees. It is likely that Edouard was born in 1745 in St Ouen, the son of Jean, son of Jean; and Marguerite Le Gresley
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs