Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Les Chasses 
Rue des Chasses
Type of property
18th century house with 16th century wing
Families associated with the property
Historic Environment Record entry
An early-mid 18th century Jersey house, with 16th century wing, retaining original features of historic significance and integrity as a group. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Main house five-bay, two-storey with two-bay dower wing to the south. 16th century wing runs east west on the north side.
Three-bay, two-storey cottage (much renewed or rebuilt) on the west end.
Doorway in second bay has 20th century replica of nine-stone Jersey arch doorway. At right angles to the left is a wing of possibly 16th century origin. In the gap between it and the gable wall of the main house are external stone steps leading to a first floor doorway.
Old Jersey Houses
The entry in Volume One says that the main interest is not the house itself, probably dating from about 1750, but a far older building at right angles to it, which could date from as early as 1520.
Notes and references
- ↑ The house name La Chasse means that the house is approached along a drive or avenue. In the case of Les Chasses, it usually means that there are two such approaches, but this property just has a single access. Les Chasses is a very common house name in Jersey and there is one other major property in St John with the same name, as well as Les Chasses Cottage and Les Chasses Farm
Joan Stevens' Old Jersey Houses notes that it is
The book gives no information about any of the house's owners, but the second volume suggests that it may be as early as 1717 and that documents found in an attic suggest that it was then in the possession of Jean Le Boutillier. He may have been the Jean who married Sarah Dorey in 1713.