Origins of surname
This name, which is common throughout France, is derived from the personal name Vaillant, meaning 'valiant' and 'strong', which in turn comes from the Latin name Valentius.
The name is found in Jersey church records as early as 1653, when Jean, son of Jean, was baptised in St Peter, but it would be another 140 years before another baptism is found. Philippe, son of Marie La Gerche, and an unnamed father, was baptised in the same parish in 1797.
The line which is found in Jersey today probably started with the baptism of Ann, daughter of Philippe and Marguerite Le Sueur, in St Helier in 1828. Philippe almost certainly came from the north of Brittany, where the name is very common; possibly from the commune of Plounez in Cotes d'Armor. Another family (see tree below) came from Saint Caradec in Cotes d'Armor.
- Le Vaillant
- Le Vaillant baptisms in Jersey
- Le Vaillant marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Le Vaillant marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Le Vaillant burials in Jersey
Le Vaillant family members who served in World War 1
- Alice M Le Vaillant (St H), Queen Mary's Auxiliary Army Corps
- Henry Arthur Le Vaillant (1900- ) (St H), Officer’s Steward RN, HMS ‘’Pembroke’’
- Rene Jean Le Vaillant (St H), Driver RE
- William T Le Vaillant (1884- ) (St H) son of Philip and Jane Short, Private, Royal Irish Rifles, then Labour Corps, ex-RMIJ
These wills created by members of the Le Vaillant family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Le Vaillant : Alfred Nicholas , of Dolfre, Langley Park, St Saviour and formerly of Dolfre Guest House, 22, Dorset Street, St Helier - 14/Feb/1966 , 16/Sep/1976 , D/Y/B1/246/28
- Le Vaillant : Augustine Marie , widow of William Frank Edward Tirel, of Sandybrook Hospital, Grouville Annexe, Grouville - 31/Jul/1978 , 31/Jul/1978 , D/Y/B1/283/38
- Le Vaillant : Marie Louise , widow of Pierre Auguste Eugene Le Breuilly, formerly of Le Cygne, Bagatelle Road, St Saviour - 01/Mar/1954 , 21/Sep/1967 , D/Y/B1/111/49
- Le Vaillant : William Thomas , of 2, Stuart Houses, Charles Street, St Helier - 28/Nov/1956 , 08/Mar/1957 , D/Y/B1/40/51
Click on any image to see a larger version. See the Jerripedia gravestone image collection page for more information about our gravestone photographs
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
Since August 2020 we have added several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form