Origin of Surname
The name is stated in Charles Stevens' Comprehensive list of Jersey surnames to come from the French for 'little mullet', rouget being French for 'red mullet', but we have not found anything in French sources to indicate why this should have led to a surname.
On the contrary, French sources suggest that Rouget is a diminuitive of rouge, indicating a little, red-haired man, and making Le Rougetel a very small red-haired man.
The first baptisms appear in the Grouville register in 1584, and after this the family is found almost exclusively in Grouville and the neighbouring parish of St Clement, with just a few later baptisms in St Helier.
- Le Rougetel, 1607
- Le Rogetell 1528
- Le Rogetel 1614 marriage record
- Le Rougetel baptisms in Jersey
- Le Rougetel marriages in Jersey (groom)
- Le Rougetel marriages in Jersey (bride)
- Le Rougetel burials in Jersey
Le Rougetel family members who served in World War 1
Two brothers, sons of Philip and Susan Harvison, killed in action in 1916 and 1917
- Bertram Le Rougetel (1887-1916), Corporal, Royal Canadian Regiment
- Guy Le Rougetel (1896-1917) Private, Machine Gun Corps
- Stanley George Le Rougetel (1885-1917) son of John Daniel Le Rougetel and Rachel, nee Bisson, husband of Violet, nee Goodwin, of Devon, Private, Wiltshire Regiment, killed in action
These wills created by members of the Le Rougetel family are now held by Jersey Archive. By visiting the archive site and using the names, dates and reference numbers shown here, it is possible to view a copy of each will. You will have to subscribe to the Archive's online service to do this. To find out more about this collection, which covers the period from 1663 to 1980, and how to search for your family's wills there, visit our Jersey wills page
- Le Rougetel : Abraham , ... - 15/Aug/1734 , 28/May/1739 , D/Y/A/6/141
- Le Rougetel : Charles , St Clement - 13/Feb/1904 , 25/Mar/1918 , D/Y/A/77/106
- Le Rougetel : Edith , daughter of Philippe, wife of John Bree Arthur, of St Clement - 12/Jun/1926 , 21/Aug/1953 , D/Y/B1/20/47
- Le Rougetel : Elizabeth , widow of Thomas De Caen of St Peter 06/03/1786 Desires to be buried in St Peter's Cemetery Bequeaths to all the parishes of the Island except St Clement, £230 sterling in funds in England - Unknown date , 27/Jan/1787 , D/Y/A/14/27
- Le Rougetel : Elvina Jane , 25 West Park Avenue, St Helier 2/03/1929 Bequeaths to the Jersey Maternity and Infant Welfare Centre £5; to the Jersey General Dispensary £5 - Unknown date , 08/Jul/1932 , D/Y/A/93/50
- Le Rougetel : Helier , of Grouville - 20/Oct/1883 , 12/Aug/1886 , D/Y/A/46/16
- Le Rougetel : Helier , of Grouville 29/12/1804 Bequeaths to the poor of Grouville, £2 tournois of the order of the King - Unknown date , 19/Aug/1806 , D/Y/A/17/20
- Le Rougetel : Jacques , son of Jean - 03/May/1672 , 13/May/1672 , D/Y/A/1/52
- Le Rougetel : Jean , of Grouville 28/01/1804 Bequeaths to the poor of Grouville, £12 of French Currency - Unknown date , 27/Jul/1811 , D/Y/A/18/46
- Le Rougetel : Lizzie Jane , daughter of Edward, wife of William Bertram Payn, of La Rocque, Grouville Bequeaths to William Stanley Payn, the house known as Sea View, La Rocque and the piece of land situated near the Railway Station of La Rocque - 15/Jun/1931 , 24/Sep/1954 , D/Y/B1/26/39
- Le Rougetel : Lydia , nee Bertram, Hope Villa, La Rocque, St Clement - Unknown date , 04/Sep/1940 , D/Y/A/107/39
- Le Rougetel : Marie , wife of Clement Bertram - 06/Dec/1693 , 06/Jan/1694 , D/Y/A/2/31
- Le Rougetel : Mary Elizabeth , St Helier, widow of John Lesbirel - 15/Sep/1913 , 17/Apr/1920 , D/Y/A/80/49
- Le Rougetel : Sara , widow of Thomas Touzel 26/01/1771 Bequeaths to the poor of St Clement, £9 of the order - Unknown date , 19/Apr/1773 , D/Y/A/12/50
- Le Rougetel : Thomas , native of St Saviour - 22/Jul/1938 , 06/May/1954 , D/Y/B1/24/34
- Le Rougetel : Thomas , St Clement - 24/Dec/1927 , 24/Jan/1942 , D/Y/A/109/12
A letter sent to Miss Le Rougetel at Hope Villa, La Rocque, during the German Occupation. Occupation ID card records show the occupants of Hope Villa as Charles and Lydia Maud Le Rougetel, so the recipient of the letter was presumably their daughter
The church record links above will open in a new tab in your browser and generate the most up-to-date list of each set of records from our database. These lists replace earlier Family page baptism lists, which were not regularly updated. They have the added advantage that they produce a chronological listing for the family name in all parishes, so you do not have to search through A-Z indexes, parish by parish.
We have included some important spelling variants on some family pages, but it may be worth searching for records for a different spelling variant. Think of searching for variants with or without a prefix, such as Le or De. To search for further variants, or for any other family name, just click on the appropriate link below for the first letter of the family name, and a new tab will open, giving you the option to choose baptism, marriage or burial records. You will then see a list of available names for that type of record and you can select any name from that list. That will display all records of the chosen type for that family name, and you can narrow the search by adding a given name, selecting a parish or setting start and end dates in the form you will see above. You can also change the family name, or search for a partial name if you are not certain of the spelling
The records are displayed 30 to a page, but by selecting the yellow Wiki Table option at the top left of the page you can open a full, scrollable list. This list will either be displayed in a new tab or a pop-up window. You may have to edit the settings of your browser to allow pop-up windows for www.jerripediabmd.net. For the small number of family names for which a search generates more than 1,500 records you will have to refine your search (perhaps using start or end dates) to reduce the number of records found.
Since August 2020 we have added several thousand new records from the registers of Roman Catholic, Methodist and other non-conformist churches. These will appear in date order within a general search of the records and are also individually searchable within the database search form