Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Junction of La Ruette and Rue de la Frontiere, St Mary
Type of property
17th century house altered externally in the 19th century
Sold for £1,465,000 in 2020
Families associated with the property
- Journeaux: This property came with the duties of under-sergeant, also known as bedel or bedeau and a plot of land granted in return for that office. The 1607 extente shows that this office was held by Philippe Journeaux son of Clement who “doth likewise Enjoy to his owne use as belonging to one part of the under Sergeant or Breedle about 24 Ver of ground”. The 1668 extente describes Clement Renouf as sous sergeant ou Bedé with an associated 32 vergées. When the property was sold in 1840 the relevant duties were still indicated in the contract. Shortly before that, in 1838, there had been a dispute before the Cour d’Heritage in which Henry and Jean Renouf, uncles of the principal heir, claimed that the inherited estate had not been valued correctly, as it had not taken account of the additional land.
- Renouf: acquired by Clement Renouf in 1612 from Philippe Journeaux. Its oldest datestones, of 1699 and 1707, both show the initials of Clement Renouf, grandson of Clement, and Rebecca Le Gros
- Le Couteur
Two more recent stones than those shown below record the Renouf owners a century or more later. One just has the initials EDP for Elizabeth Dupré (wife of Charles Hugh Renouf, senior) with her age, 63. Her gravestone by the wall of Saint Mary’s church shows that she died in October 1817 aged 65, so she would have been 63 in 1814/15 around the time of another stone, when presumably that part of the house was built or rebuilt. The other 1814 stone commemorates the marriage of Charles Hugh Renouf (junior, eldest son) and Jeanne Anne Dupré. The initials of the latter look like “ADP” but a dot over the vertical line of the slanting “A” indicates a hidden “J”.
Jeanne Anne Dupré was from the same branch of the family as Elizabeth, her mother-in-law. In 1811 she married Charles Hugh Renouf junior, a ship owner and master mariner, but he had died by 1821, according to a land record. In 1819 he was captain of the schooner-brig Industry and the shipping register shows the vessel as “lost” in that year.
The Lloyds List refers to the Industry having been spotted by another ship in June 1819 “completely waterlogged with no person on board at latitude 42, longitude 42” (right in the middle of the Atlantic) – it certainly seems that he was lost at sea. His daughter, Anne Renouf, who married Jean Mahier, inherited the house from her grandfather Charles Hugh Renouf senior, who died in 1837, and sold it in 1840 to Jean Le Couteur.
- CRN RLG 1699 - For Clement Renouf and Rebecca Le Gros
- CRN RLG 1707 - For Charles Renouf and Rebecca Le Gros
Historic Environment Record entry
Externally of mid-19th century appearance, this house has 17th century origins. The line of granite buildings contributes to the rural setting.
The house emulates the polite architecture of Georgian fashion but with a continuing local character. The overlay of French and British architectural influences is unique to Jersey and the Channel Islands. A building on this site is shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
The core of this building is 17th century, it has been developed in the 19th century to its present form. Main house early-mid 19th century. Former farm group. Two-storey three-bay house with single storey, two-bay wing to west and single storey wing to east.
Old Jersey Houses
Depite its 17th century origins this house does not feature in either volume
Notes and references