La Falaize

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings


This is one of three properties in close proximity in the north of St Mary, with similar names. The others are Falaise House and La Falaize Farm

Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

La Falaize

Property name

La Falaize [1]


Grande Rue, St Mary

Type of property

19th century rural house, formerly a boarding house


No recent transactions

Families associated with the property

Although Jersey Archive lists 1941 records for La Falaize, it is uncertain whether they relate to this property or nearby La Falaize Farm

  • Arthur: 19th century census returns are also confusing but the 1891 census clearly identifies La Falaise, La Falaise Farm and Falaise House separately. Widow Mary Arthur (1842- ) was living at La Falaise with her daughter Louisa (1872- ) and brother-in-law James Arthur (1846- ). We have not been able to identify which of James' brothers Mary had married. The 1881 census shows La Falaise occupied by Nicholas Arthur (1819- ), a landed proprietor, his wife Margaret (1819- ) and twins William John and Eliza (1843- ), James (1845- ) and Henry Charles (1855- ). Records show that Nicholas and Margaret had three more daughters and two more sons.
The Arthur family also appears in the 1871 and 1861 censuses, with Nicholas always identified as a landowner. His sons do not seem to have shown any inclination to farm the family land, and although they remained living with their parents well into adulthood, William James was a mariner and Henry a clerk.
The properties in this area had not been named by the time of the 1861 census, and Nicholas Arthur's household is shown as one of nine in Falaise Road. Five of the others were farming families. These records are included in the profiles of Falaise House and La Falaize Farm
Datestones at La Falaize Farm indicate that it was owned by the Arthur family as early as the beginning of the 18th century. One of the stones records the occupancy by the parents of Nicolas Arthur (1819- ). We have concluded that Nicolas or his son had La Falaize built in the mid-19th century, perhaps as a dower house, or for an eldest son.

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

A good example of mid-19th century rural house which retains its proportions, character and historic features, including the entrance porch and doorcase. The house displays the polite architecture of Georgian fashion.

The property was once a private boarding house.

Notes and references

  1. This property name was spelt La Falaize in 1871, La Falaise for the remainder of the 19th century but at some time in the 20th century the 's' was changed again to a 'z'. The French word falaise means cliff, and no alternative spelling is recognised. Jersey placenames such as Rue de La Petitie Falaise in Trinity are correctly spelt with an 's', but various addresses can now be found using 'z'
This satellite view shows how close La Falaize on the left, La Falaize Farm, in the centre, and Falaise House, on the right are to each other. Each is divided from its neighbour by a public road. At the top right is The Priory restaurant
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs