La Caroline

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

La Caroline, St Ouen's Church and drill sheds

Property name

La Caroline

Other names

None known


La Ville de L'Église, St Ouen

Type of property

House with possible earlier origins circa 1500.

Families associated with the property

The home of Pierre De Carteret first Constable of St Ouen

  • Lucas: Owned in 20th century by Max Lucas, Jurat and former editor of Jersey Evening Post

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

Late 18th/early 19th century with possible earlier origins circa 1500. The house and outbuildings are well constructed and of good quality stone. The building occupies a prominent site and adds much to this area.

Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

The house appears to have been rebuilt in the late 18th or early 19th century with possible earlier origins (circa 1500) still incorporated into the gable walls.

Main house with rear outbuildings to north, both east and west extensions and a long stable-range to the south.

Main house: two-storey, five-bay. Front (south) elevation: slate roof with render chimneys. Coursed squared stone construction, with mainly rough-worked openings/quoins. Re-set above the door lintel is a shield of arms of de Carteret. The rear (north) elevation was not surveyed.

East and west extensions: single storey 2 bay. Slate roof. Rendered. Timber windows/door. South stable-range: single storey, 9 bay. Slate roof. Coursed squared stone construction, with a mix of brick/stone openings. Timber windows. Its south gable wall has a wide opening with brick elliptical arch and a keystone dated 1843. At the apex is a carved shield of arms similar to the one over the house door, but with carved rabbits as supporters.

The central entrance has a simple doglegged staircase with a flat handrail, stick-balusters and square-newel post circa 1780. There are 6 panel doors throughout with plain mouldings circa 1830.

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs