Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
Rue de la Bottellerie, St Ouen
Type of property
Late 16th century house; perhaps much earlier
Families associated with the property
- Botterel: This house predates 1600, and was named after the Botterel family, who lived then for about three generations in St Ouen. The original owner was Clement Botterel, who was Constable of St Ouen from 1601-1610. By his wife, [[Descendants of Benest Le Brocq|Rachel Le Brocq ( -1618), he had issue Esther Botterel, who married in 1619 Jacques Le Couteur and a co-heiress, Elizabeth, who married Jean Dauvergne. The male line of this family is believed, therefore, to have become extinct by the mid-17th century, which explains the absence of the name in St Ouen registers, the earliest of which to survive being 1635. The surname reappeared in later centuries, as a result of immigration from abroad.
A Thomas Botterel (1477- ) married Guillemine Hue in 1501.
- Syvret: In 1901 farmer Charles Syvret (1837- ) and his wife Susanne, nee Vibert (1853- ) were living here with two servants, Mathurin Turpin (1868- ) and Maria Toquet (1852- )
Historic Environment Record entry
House of early 17th century origins,  retaining historic character and some early interior features.
Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.
Main house with east wing. West extension arch gives access through to rear. Rear north outbuildings.
Main house: 2 storey, 4 bay. Front (south) elevation: slate roof with modern dormers and rubble stone chimneys. Rough-cast finish with exposed stone lintels to ground floor level and a traditional 9-piece stone arched entrance circa 1650.
Rear (north) elevation: a mix of later flat-roofed extensions/lean-to's, with timber windows. Central entrance: An unusual mahogany staircase of unknown date (possibly post 1900 one-off item) with turned balusters, a wreathed handrail with reeded upper portion. Ground floor west room has a beam, very ancient in appearance, that has a cut-out for the provision of a door (also seen at Petite Fosse, of presumed hall construction).
The ground floor east room also has a chamfered beam appearing late 17th century. Within this room is a stone fireplace with concave interior circa 1750 and a reused 16th century lintel. As far as is known the beam in the ground floor west room with door-recess provision has not been noted elsewhere.
Notes and references
- ↑ From the history of the Botterells, this date is most doubtful. The house is situated in a slightly sheltered dip within the surrounding terrain, close to an all-the-year-round spring, these being the exact criteria to influence choice of location, in the mind of medieval house builders. The surviving details, above, from the 16th century or before, also point to an early origin. The spring has long been adapted to furnish water to a lavoir, situated a few feet away