La Biarderie

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

La Biarderie, Trinity


A drawing from Old Jersey Houses showing the unusual sundial on the east chimney of the house, and the dripstones indicating that the roof was originally thatch

Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through


Property name

La Biarderie


Rue de la Monnaie, Trinity

Type of property

17th century cottage. Features of the property include an enclosed courtyard, tourelle staircase and sundial on the chimney, which is of 1682 vintage but may have been erected on the house a little later. The chimney still has dripstones for thatch.

Families associated with the property

  • Biard: The family after which the property was named. There is no direct evidence on which to date La Biarderie, but its similarity to other properties of the late 17th century suggests a date between 1680 and 1700.

The house would have been named after the Biard family. It seems highly likely that it was built by the only family of this name in Trinity at this period. They were Isaac Biard, who married Susanne Le Touzey. They had four children, Isaac (1692- ), Anne (1694- ), Susanne (1695- ) and Jean (1700- ).

Isaac jnr married Susanne Amy and set up home with her in St Helier. They had 13 children, including two sets of twins.


  • 16 PN 82 - For Philippe Nicolle. This stone contradicts the belief that the property was built for the Biard family around this time
  • PNC♥♥LPT1873 - For Philippe Nicolle and Louisa Mary Porter. There were too many Philippe Nicolles in Trinity in the 17th to 19th century to enable any link to be made between the two on the datestones at this property

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

A Jersey cottage dating back to the 17th century, retaining original features and character including an early and rare surviving example of a sundial.

Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

Three-bay, two-storey cottage with lean-to extension to rear. Pantile roof. Dressed granite chimneys with substantial double-rimmed stacks and thatch dripstones.

First floor windows are lowered early six-stone pattern with large base stones.

Enclosed courtyard to front, with much altered wings. The ground floor interior retains a single 17th century convex-pattern fireplace corbel on the west gable, and a later adjusted stone fireplace on the east gable.

Old Jersey Houses

Here is an example of a neat enclosed courtyard, but without the spectacular arched entrance which graces so many of them. It is very similar to La Chasse (St J) which has a date of 1699. There is a tourelle staircase, and a sundial on the chimney.

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs