Historic Jersey buildings
If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through firstname.lastname@example.org
L'Auberge du Nord
- Le Nord - original name when a private residence
- Farmhouse Inn - new name
Route du Nord, St John
Type of property
Public house, formerly a farmhouse with 15th century features
The property sold for £865,000 in 2004
Families associated with the property
- Le Couteur: Old Jersey Houses says that the Le Couteur family already owned this property in the 16th century. There is a Cour de Samedi record in about 1580 relating to Nicolas Le Couteur, son of Denys. In about 1760, a partage resulted in a younger son, Philippe, inheriting Le Nord. He married Jeanne Filleul. In 1789, after over two centuries' continuous Le Couteur ownership, their son Amice sold Le Nord to Philippe Romeril. This house was owned by the Le Couteur family throughout the 17th and 18th centuries before Amice Le Couteur sold it to Philippe Romeril in 1798.
- 16 ILC EA 96 - For Jean Le Couteur (1661-1719) and Esther Arthur, who married in 1689; carved on the lintel of one of four fireplaces. They were the great-great-grandparents of Colonel Sir John Le Couteur of Belle Vue, St Aubin, who was aide de camp to Queen Victoria.
Historic Environment Record entry
A rural farmhouse (now public house) with 15th/16th century origins, retaining many fine early historic features including a double-voussoir arched doorway, chamfered windows, internal stone doorways, corbelled fireplaces and a notable tourelle stair.
This building is shown on the Richmond Map of 1795. It is considered to possibly have medieval origins as shown in the north outshot, however it is mainly 15th century - features are the arched doorway, the cross wall, the double splayed ventilator in the east gable.
East room fireplace modified in 1696. Oak beams in west room belong to circa 1600 improvements.
Central bay of five has chamfered, nine-stone arch with double voussoirs.
Two rough hewn beams in ground floor west room, west one chamfered with chamfer stops. Ground floor west gable has corbelled fireplace with joggle stones, chamfered pillars with stops. Internal stone doorway to north extension is chamfered. Adjacent unchamfered stone doorway into east room. Two chamfered doorways linked by quoins at first floor level. First floor east gable has corbelled fireplace.
Old Jersey Houses
- "Certainly the house is far older than the 1696 on the fireplace datestone.
- "In the north wall is a chamfered doorway leading to the tourelle stairs. The tourelle is a most striking one, and takes up two storeys. From the outside it is square, not the more usual round tower."
Notes and references