From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

L'Anciennete, St Brelade


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through editorial@jerripedia.org


Property name



Demolished in the early 20th century

Type of property

Once a fine, old property in St Brelade, probably dating back to 1550, l'Anciennété was demolished in the early 20th century by Athelstan Riley, who bought it to use the interesting stone features in Trinity Manor, which he was rebuilding at the time.

The photographs on this page are quite early, showing the west-facing house, with its thatched roof, in a good state of repair and occupied. By the time the houses were demolished, this part of the property had become a ruin, with the roof collapsed.

The front door arch is in the Manor Chapel, and windows were used in the chapel and kitchen wing of the manor. The tourelle staircase was re-erected in two sections in the garden, leading down to the canal.

Interior fittings used in the restoration of the manor include a large fireplace, beams and panelling.

If part of the property was a 'priest's house', it is unclear which priest lived there. It is believed that there was a Chapelle de Ste Barbe in the parish of St Brelade and it may have been at l'Anciennété.

A bénetier which was given to La Société Jersiaise by an earlier owner, a member of the Seale family, was incorporated into the Jersey kitchen at the Museum. There were once two houses on the site, what was known as the Priest's House, facing south, from which the benetier was removed, and another facing west, but now nothing remains of either.


Families associated with the property

  • Seale
  • Renouf: In 1901 farmer George William Renouf (1845- ) and his wife Ann Elizabeth, nee Helleur (1860- ) were living here with their daughters Jane (1882- ), Alice (1885- ) and Emily (1900- ); and George's sister Esther (1837- ) [1]

Old Jersey Houses

Joan Stevens in Volume One describes it as 'a very ancient house', probably dating back to 1550 She wrote that the benetier was first presented to the Rector of St Brelade with a view to its incorporation in the parish church. When this proved unfeasible the feature was handed on to the Société.

Notes and references

  1. We have not been able to place this family in any of our Renouf trees
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs