Jersey in pictures
This page provides links to all the best picture pages in Jerripedia. The site now contains over 57,000 pictures, spread across the majority of its 10,000-plus pages. Some have a single picture, some have extensive galleries. We have restructured parts of the site to provide easier access to some of the best images, and the links below will take you to some of the largest and most important galleries.
It is now the largest on-line collection of images of Jersey - that honour was previously held by the Société Jersiaise photographic archive, which has 35,000 of its collection online. Regardless of numbers, we believe that Jerripedia's collection is the most interesting and comprehensive, easiest to access and best displayed collection of Jersey photographs and artwork.
If you have pictures taken in Jersey which you believe are worthy of a place on this site, please contact email@example.com and we will make arrangements to add them to our pages.
Selected galleries and picture pages
Some of our best picture galleries
- Panoramic 360 degree images
- The Island of Jersey, pictures from an 1870s edition of Nelson's Pictorial Guide-Books Added 2021
- Beauty of Jersey, pictures taken for a 1930 book, part of a British Isles series Added 2021
- A unique collection of photographs of Jersey and its tourism industry in the 1960s and '70s, by Pierre Mette
- Special picture gallery, a selection of some of our best pictures
- Ouless views of Jersey: 37 etchings from the 1840s-60s
- Mars images of Brittany and Jersey, Victorian images of Jersey and nearby France
- Henry Irwin 19th centure sketches of Jersey Added 2022
- 1933 Aerofilm aerial pictures
- 1951 Aerofilm aerial pictures
- Early panoramic views
- 1835 navigation drawings Added 2018
- Percival Dunham, photojournalist
- Jersey in 1910, a gallery of photographs Added 2018
- Jersey in the 1950s, pictures from an album of post-war photographs of Jersey locations NEW
- 1950s colour photographs Added 2020
- Great Western Railway publicity photographs Added 2022
- Jersey in the 1860s: Pictures from a French album discovered in 2020
- Aviation 100 years of flying
- Harbour St Helier Harbour ...
- Maritime... and the ships which have used it
- Farming The story of Jersey's farms
- Lillie Langtry The life of a famous actress
- Aerial picture gallery Looking down on the island
- An album of pictures of Jersey and France in 1899 Added 2019
- Occupation Pictures from the war years
- Lifestyle Islanders at work and at play
- Fashion What well-dressed islanders have worn down the decades
- Postcards From 1895 onwards
- A gallery of 1897 holiday photographs Added 2019
- Trains Jersey's two railways ...
- Carriages and charabancs ... and horse-drawn transport
- Coastline Beaches, bays and cliffs
- St Aubin picture gallery
- Art Public art collections
- Entertainment Famous visiting artistes
- tourism A holiday island
- Old shops The retail trade in the past ...
- Other businesses ... and other undertakings
- Hotels, most of them no longer there ...
- Bars ... and cafes and restaurants
- Churches Including the 'Glass Church'
- Schools From the 19th century onwards
- Houses All the important old island houses
- Public markets Meat, fruit & veg and fish
- Statues, and assorted monuments
- Castles and forts Keeping the enemy out ...
- Soldiers ... and the troops who manned them
- Prints from an 1875 book Added 2018
- Maps, and charts of Jersey and the other Channel Islands
- Colour pictures from the 1890s
- A special album of Great War photographs
- 19th century pictures of St Helier
- Jersey in 1924: From a photograph album
- From a 1925 album
Picture of the week
Every week Jerripedia editors select a single photograph (or sometimes a set of two or three) which present a particularly important view of Jersey in days gone by. It might be a striking old image of a part of the island which has changed little over the years, but it is more likely to recapture a view from the past which has long disappeared. It may be a photograph (or a painting or drawing) selected from one of our existing galleries, but more often than not it will be a picture which has not previously appeared on the site.
All the pictures of the week which have appeared since this feature was introduced in June 2011 have been transferred to an archive page, where they are retained as a diverse and fascinating pictorial record of Jersey, its people and places of historical interest.
- Pictures of the week archive:
Jerripedia features the work of hundreds of photographers, many of them anonymous, many others well known. Some were active in the island at the very dawn of photography in the 1840s, and the history of photography in Jersey is in many ways a history of photography itself.
Our main photography page provides information about many of the most important of the pioneer photographers and examples of their work, as well as links to articles about the history of their art in the island.
New pictures reach Jerripedia daily from a wide variety of sources, and are added to the site as soon as possible. Then they have to be allocated to individual pages and galleries, with captions providing as much information as is available. All of this work is very time-consuming and has to be dovetailed with all the other site development. Unfortunately this means that there is a considerable backlog of images waiting to be added to the site.
In order to speed up this process somewhat we have introduced a gallery of miscellaneous new pictures, which have yet to be fully researched and added to the appropriate page or gallery, but are deemed to be of sufficient importance and general interest to merit a place in this holding gallery, usually with only the briefest of captions. Any Jerripedia visitor who recognises any of these images and believes that they can provide information about the subject is invited to contact firstname.lastname@example.org.