The Jersey Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals was founded in 1868 with the aims of preventing cruelty, promoting knowledge, and providing for aged, sick, lost and unwanted animals in Jersey.
Their St Saviour headquarters were founded in 1913 by Frances Elizabeth Wilson. In 1924 Frances and her sister Charlotte bought 95 St Saviour’s Road and four years later gave the property to the Animals Shelter. In the contract it stated that the property was to be used exclusively to maintain and develop the work started by Frances and Charlotte. It was to be used as a temporary shelter for all domestic animals that may have been injured, sick, lost or abandoned and to also provide veterinary treatment when neccessary.
The new headquarters at 89 St Saviour's Road was purchased in 1931. It was known as Coie Manor Farm, dating back to the 18th century. This property provided the Animals Shelter with much more space and land.
In 1936 The Jersey Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals and Animals Shelter amalgamated.
The Hospital opened in 1938 in a building which no longer exists
The clinic area was a converted hen house, a room used until the new development in 1951, when this building was demolished. In place was a new clinic complete with an operating room, X-ray department, consulting area, office and a large waiting area with kennels. The Animals Shelter provided the only X-ray facilities for the island's three veterinary practices for the next ten years.
The clinic was run on a monthly basis by the three surgeries. It provided veterinary treatment for families with little or no income. If the client was unable to pay, the veterinary surgeon would treat the pet free of charge, or at a reduced rate. As more veterinary surgeries became available, the clinic numbers declined and finances at the Animals Shelter improved, it was decided to close the clinics and to pay the vets a fee for attending to animals at their own surgeries for people on a low income.