Fosse a l'Ecrivain

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Historic Jersey buildings

Fosse a l'Ecrivain, St Saviour


Index of all house profiles

If you own this property, have ancestors who lived here, or can provide any further information and photographs, please contact us through

This 2020 photograph shows how dramatically the property has changed

Property name

Fosse a l'Ecrivain


Fosse a l'Ecrivain, St Saviour

Type of property

18th century house with earlier features


  • The property was sold for £3.25 million in 2008
  • Fosse a L'Ecrivain was on offer for £16 million in 2023

Families associated with the property


  • PLM IG 1659 - This stone has not been positively deciphered but there is a strong possibility that it represents Philippe Le Maistre and Jeanne Giffard, who married in St Saviour in 1660. Perhaps it relates to construction work in anticipation of their marriage and occupation of the property
  • GPC ELS 1884 - Probably for George Perchard, but which one has not been established. This may not be original to the property
  • FHW EIW 1991 - For Senator Frank Harrison Walker and his wife Elaine Iris Walker, née Harrison

Historic Environment Record entry

Listed building

This 18th century house incorporating 17th century features, retains its historic character, with good quality stonework, and interesting features of historic significance. Shown on the Richmond Map of 1795.

Old Jersey Houses

The property's entry in Volume 1 notes that the name has caused controversy.

"One legend is that a lawyer, on his way home from town, was thrown by his horse and fell into the ditch and died. During the night rain caused the ditch to collapse and cover the body, which was not found until later.
"The most likely explanation is that it is connected with the name Scrivain, mentioned in a document of 1579. Reference to a Rue a L'Escrivain occurs in 1612.
"It has been suggested that this house is the birthplace of Thomas Le Maistre (1714-1800), who did so much work copying out manuscripts.
"There is a bakehouse and press house, for cider making, which were all in use in the memory of the present owner, Mrs Renouf, who also recalls that the house was still thatched in about 1914."

Notes and references

Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs