Ecclesiastical silver

From Jerripedia
Jump to: navigation, search


Ecclesiastical silver

St-O-Ch-chalice-Sir-George de C.jpg

Chalice donated to St Ouen's Church, Jersey by Sir George Carteret

From Silver in the Channel Islands by Frederick Cohen and Nicholas du Quesne Bird

Goblet at Trinity Church, Jersey

Patron of the arts

The church was a major patron of the arts and crafts of the middle ages, and frequently the most reliable, as before the Reformation it enjoyed a continuity and accumulation of wealth, without suffering the vicissitudes which could befall the noble or mercantile patron. Little pre-Reformation church silver remains, but Channel Island churches can show the following three pieces, which, although unmarked, are possibly of local manufacture.

Trinity chalice

The major parts of a chalice of circa 1520-1530 at Trinity church, Jersey. These consist of the bowl and foot only, the stem being missing. This chalice is exceptional on two counts. Firstly it is unengraved, whereas comparable extant chalices, and those fully described in inventories, tend to bear at least an engraving of Christ crucified on one plane of the foot.

It is also exceptional in having an octofoil foot, contemporary parallels only being noted in the Musée de Cluny and at Fernyhalgh, Lancs. However, there do exist English recusant chalices with this type of foot, at South Tottenham, London (1637) and at Wardour Castle and Stonyhurst College (1638). The work of one London goldsmith, these may represent a further early example, perhaps then held by a London recusant, which was copied.

However, the Trinity chalice does not conform very closely to normal English types, and this may indicate local manufacture. Its present condition may suggest that it was not in use when the Royal Commissioners attempted to seize the silver in the churches, having been deconsecrated and set aside as silver to be used in the repair of other church vessels, or to be sold to pay for other repairs. The stem may have been used in this way.

Contemporary English churchwardens' accounts illustrate this practice, and suggest that it was a way of using things up before the arrival of the Commissioners, thus preserving some of the wealth of the parish. The original chalice was repaired at the beginning if this century under the patronage of the Riley family.

St Sampson chalice

A parcel-gilt chalice of circa 1520-1530 at St Sampson's, Guernsey. Like the Trinity chalice, this departs from English norms in being unengraved, though the silversmith who inscribed it in 1614 may have erased previous engraving as being Roman Catholic. The closest British parallel to this piece is one of similar date at Jurby on the Isle of Man, the main difference of which is that the upper part of the foot is convex rather than concave.

This chalice is said to have been buried in the priest's garden, to conceal it from the Royal Commissioners, and to have been recovered and restored to the church in 1614, which date it now bears. It is inscribed SVM ECCLÆ DIVI SANPSONIS 1 6 1 4, for I belong to the church of St Sampson.

St Peter Port cruet

A parcel-gilt lidded cruet of circa 1520-1530 at St Peter Port. This is one of a pair of altar cruets, of which only the major part of one other has survived in England, in the collection of Mrs G E P How.

Both were intended for water, the initial A of aqua being engraved on the lids to enable the server to distinguish it from the wine cruet. Mrs. How's is undecorated, but the St Peter Port example is inscribed around the waist *SANCTE*PAULE**ORAPRO*NOBIS, for Saint Paul pray for us, the spout being between Paule and ora instead of between nobis and sancte. This arrangement of the legend shows either a degree of carelessness out of keeping with the workmanship of the piece, or a low level of literacy. That the latter is the true explanation is suggested by an erased letter P before ora, showing that the goldsmith commenced the word pro before ora, in error.

At the junction of the handle with the inscribed band is an engraved half-length figure of St James the Great, between two scallop shells. This is upside-down, but would be the right way up when the cruet was emptied. Further decoration was applied to the strut in the angle between the spout and the body, which is formed as a small dragon regardant, creeping up the neck of the vessel.

This cruet was dug up, before 1845, in St Saviour's, where it is assumed it was buried to conceal it from the Royal Commissioners. It may originally have belonged to a church dedicated to St Paul, or it may have been donated to a church by someone named after that saint, though some partiality to St James the Great is also clear. Because it is the only complete survivor of its type, it was sometimes copied by Victorian goldsmiths, examples being at the Town Church, St Peter Port, and at Marden in Wiltshire.


In addition to their eucharistic silver, the church owned relics, which were frequently housed in silver or silver-gilt shrines. We can only guess at those owned by Channel Island churches, but the traffic in relics was very considerable, and it is likely that where examples relevant to Channel Island dedications are found in inventories in the south of England, comparable pieces would have been held in the Channel Islands, almost certainly by St Helier's Abbey and similar foundations.

12th and 13th century inventories of Glastonbury Abbey, for instance, show them to have owned relics of St Sampson, consisting of pieces of his bones and of his chain. Abingdon Abbey held relics of St Sampson and perhaps St Helier in 1116, and a mid-15th century inventory of Salisbury Cathedral also lists a relic of St Sampson. Canterbury Cathedral had a portable shrine of St Owen or St Ouen in 1315, which was kept in the great reliquary cupboard, and we hear of an English goldsmith who stole another such shrine. Though this example also appears to have belonged to an English church, both may have had a Jersey equivalent.

The earliest known chalice in south-west England is that from Trewhiddle, Cornwall. It dates from circa 850, was part of a robber or Viking hoard, and was perhaps taken as booty from some sacked coastal church. The chalice was doubtless introduced into the Channel Islands before this, for St. Sampson of Dol must presumably have brought one with him in the 6th century, and earlier but unrecorded Christians may have done likewise.

The Trewhiddle chalice, which is quite plain, shows the probable form of such pieces, and it seems improbable that any Channel Island church would have been wealthy enough to own anything as richly embellished as the other extant Anglo-Saxon example, the Tassilo chalice, thought to have been made in 777. We know that chalices existed in the Islands in 1294 as in that year the French fleet commanded by Jean d’Harcourt and Matthieu de Montmorency carried out an attack resulting in a Jersey petition stating the chalices were destroyed and taken away.

A collection of silver at St Mary's Church, Jersey


No inventories have preserved any account of Channel Island church goods in the medieval period, but those from other areas can provide some indication of what was held. Each parish church, however poor, would at least have owned a silver chalice, often with its bowl gilt, no other material being allowed for eucharistic use. Early inventories are rare, but some taken of the goods of rural parishes in the Salisbury area in the 1220s have survived, and show the chalice often to have been the only piece of silver owned.

This is likely to have been the case in the rural parishes of Jersey and Guernsey, and a document of 1306 records the arrest of Pierre Faleyse, Rector of Grouville, for the theft of two cups. Church goods at this date could already be of considerable age, and in bad condition, being described in the inventories as insufficiens and debilis.

Inventories of the 15th century show a greater range of silverware, at least in the larger parish churches, and establishments such as St. Helier’s Abbey may have been well equipped. In addition to chalices and their patens, there would be a pyx, a basin for the priest's oblation, a christmatory, a censor, an incense boat, a pair of cruets, and perhaps candlesticks, a processional cross, a holy-water bucket, and a sprinkler to be used with it, though these latter were frequently of base metal.

There may also have been silver or silver-clad images of the saints and just prior to the Reformation we read that Richard Mabin, Dean of Jersey, installed at the church of Notre Dame de la Clarte at La Hougue Bie an automated statue of Our Lady which held out its hand for alms and gestured in gratitude when it received them. This shows how much money might be lavished on such images, even at a later date, and by inference what votive silver and jewels might be dedicated to them.

A further class of church goods, not uncommon in England, but so far unreported in the Channel Islands, is the small medieval pewter chalice and paten buried with the priest, as symbolic grave-goods. These are only found during building work in churches, or when medieval graveyards are cleared, and a set of circa 1200-1220 exists at Sparsholt in Hampshire.

Also occasionally found in building work, and as yet not recorded in the Channel Islands, are the metal caskets containing the relics of the saint to whom a church was dedicated, built into the church at its dedication. Examples have been found at Salisbury Cathedral and at Whitchurch Canonicorum, Dorset, the latter being housed in a shrine to St White.

Silver seized

In the 1540s the monasteries and chantry chapels were dissolved, and their silver seized by the crown. In the following few years the silverware belonging to the churches was also seized, each church being left with one cup and paten-cover, presumably the least valuable and consequently the smallest, for the administration of the sacrament.

The inventories taken by the Royal Commissioners appointed to this task are a useful indication of the holdings and comparative wealth of the parish churches, but the returns for all areas have not been found, and those that relate to the Channel Islands are missing. There also exist accounts between the King and his goldsmiths, showing that the better pieces were not melted down, but altered to render them suitable for royal use. These accounts give the origins of a few pieces, but none are known to have come from the Channel Islands.

A petition, signed by 2,000 Guernseymen in the 1560s and still in existence, complained to the Privy Council about the practices of the local Calvinists, and suggested that the Dean, John After, had appropriated most of the local church silver. However, it appears to have been hidden by Catholics and later sent to France.

Doubtless the churchwardens of the day also played their part in trying to save the riches of their parishes, (as they are known to have done in some parts of England), and the buried St Sampson's chalice and St Peter Port cruet suggest this. Many of the goods seized and destroyed would have been of great age. The 1536 inventory of Salisbury Cathedral, for example, lists amongst other antiquities a reliquary casket given by Asser, Bishop of Sherborne, who died in 910.

Following the Reformation, silver for celebrating the Mass continued to be made in England, for the secret use of recusant Catholics. Often this is unmarked, but even in the 17th century marked pieces show that goldsmiths were either not afraid of discovery or were willing to risk it. The only recognisable examples in the Channel Islands are a chalice and paten made in 1795 by Jacques Quesnel for the use of one Jul. Hardy, a refugee priest from Valognes, Normandy.

Silver plate from St Helier's Town Church

Communion cup

In the 1560s and 1570s nearly all parishes in England were equipped with a fairly standard type of communion cup and paten, some being made by local goldsmiths, but the majority coming from London. There is no evidence that any such sets were ordered for churches in the Channel Islands.

Perhaps feeling the domestic wine-cup approximated more nearly to that used at the Last Supper, the local Calvinists appear to have preferred the normal wine-goblet of their day to the larger and more robust adaptations adopted by the Church of England. The example at St Clement's, Jersey, is dated 1594, and there exist several other undated examples which might be of this time. Thomas Mourin made two wine-cups for St Martin's, Jersey, in 1601, and one of these might be the unmarked example given by Laurens Baudains, who died in 1611.

There also exists a London hall-marked wine cup of 1598 at St Lawrence's, Jersey, and there are several others elsewhere in the Diocese of Winchester, to which the Channel Islands had come to belong. One of 1599 at North Waltham is clearly a secular wine-cup.

In 1615-1628 we find two mazer bowls given to St. Brelade’s, and another four were given to St. Brelade’s and St. Mary’s at unknown dates. At least two of these were about a hundred years old when they were given. They had been secular vessels, and why they were taken into the church at this date we can only surmise: they may have been intended for use as patens, as was one of circa 1500-1530 at St Michael's, Bristol; they may have been intended for the use of parish officers at meetings, as was some other silver still held by churches in south-west England.

The fact that two of those at St Brelade's were given by parish Constables might support this view. Another mazer exists in the diocese, at Whitsbury, Hampshire, and resembles one of the St Brelade examples in having a Tudor rose as the central print, though it is a true mazer: a silver-mounted treen bowl. It is known to have been used as an alms-dish, but Whitsbury has no communion plate from before 1673, and it may just possibly have been used as a communion vessel before that, though this would have been uncanonical, an objection which would not apply to the Jersey mazers, since they are entirely of silver.


That the Jersey mazers may have been used either as communion cups or patens is suggested by a 17th century bowl at St John's, which is inscribed Pour l'usage de la Communion de St Jean. It is possible that these vessels were in the course of their lives used in all these ways, depending on the availability of other silver to the church. The use of the lavacrum, a basin for the priestly oblations, in the pre-Reformation church, has already been noted.

It has been surmised that some church silver which is known to have existed in this period, and which is now missing, may have been used as raw material by the Jersey Mint of 1646-1647, but this appears unlikely. Many of the coins struck at these Royalist mints bore the legend RELIGIO PROTESTANTIUM, LEGES ANGLIAE, LIBERTAS PARLIAMENTI: The Protestant Religion, The Laws of England, and The Liberty of Parliament, which would seem barefaced had the church silver been sequestrated in this way.

Surviving mint-records elsewhere suggest that it was not. In one instance, at Exeter College, Oxford, the King was asked if the communion plate could be reserved from the silver being supplied to the mint, and we have his reply, that "his majesty is well contented that a reservation be made of their communion plate, which his majesty never expected upon his former letter". Some pieces may, of course, have been taken to the mint by the parish officers, especially if it had fallen out of use or was defective.

However, the usual reason for the disappearance of older church plate is more prosaic. It was simply recycled into new pieces when it wore out, or when silver was required for an additional vessel. In Guernsey, lists survive of quantities of church silver disposed of in this way.

St Brelade's Church silver plate

Wine cups

A much greater quantity of church silver has survived from the Episcopalian period, commencing about 1620. The robust wine-cups, still found in some number in both Guernsey and Jersey, are paralleled by others elsewhere in the diocese. A particular example is that of 1652, at Ellingham, Hampshire, which is itself quite similar to that preserved at Welbeck, from which Charles I received communion on the morning of his execution.

These wine-cups, unlike those in England, did not have patens made to fit them when taken into church use, for the Channel Island churches, being of a lower churchmanship, used bread rather than wafers for the communion, and the patens of the Anglican church would not have been large enough. The mazer bowls may have been used in this way, but the domestic platter or plat was also taken into use as a paten, the earliest being one of 1677 at St John, Jersey, by Thomas le Vavasseur dit Durell. These might be given in pairs, and two unmarked examples dated 1699 at St Saviour, Guernsey, are inscribed plat à par, suggesting that they could also have been used as alms dishes, as the St John's example is known to have been.

A communion cup and paten of the Anglican form survive at Elizabeth Castle, and are of London make, the cup being probably of 1640/1, and the paten of 1621/2. The earliest locally-made patens are those of 1727 at Tortevel and St-Pierre-du-Bois, Guernsey, by I.H., and several others were produced during the 18th century, some being of the large footed variety, descendants of the tazza.

The eucharistic silver may also include wine flagons, the earliest of these in the Channel Islands being that in the Elizabeth Castle plate, a London-made piece of 1606/9, probably given by Lord Capel 1641. (See Chapter six)

A plate in St Brelade's Church, Jersey made by Thomas Le Breton in 1667

Baptism dishes

Further sacramental silver is that connected with baptism. As in England, baptismal dishes were donated to the church, in some cases because the font had been destroyed by Puritans, and in others because their donation was fashionable. The earliest is perhaps the unmarked example at St Peter's, Jersey, given in 1671, though most date from the 18th century.

A ewer for the water was also sometimes given, and the earliest examples appear to be those donated by Elizabeth le Mesurier to Guernsey churches in the 1720s, others dating from later in the century. Those of the 1720s are of particular interest, preserving as they do the form of 16th and 17th century domestic vessels of which no examples have survived in the Channel Islands, but which are known in Normandy and Brittany.

There is no further sacramental silver of local manufacture, but there are a few pieces used for the collection of alms. Two collecting jugs of 1750 by Jean Gavey of Jersey at St Aubin's, Jersey, are the only examples by a Channel Island maker. These are in the form of drum-shaped tankards whose lids are set with raised mouths through which coins can be dropped. It is possible that their form preserves that of the domestic tanquards d'argent only known from earlier wills.

Post-Reformation plate

The locally-made post-Reformation church plate which is datable is listed below. A star sign indicates an undated piece where the donor is known, the year of his death being given in the presumption that the piece must either have been given in his lifetime, or have been bequeathed by him.

1594 wine cup St Clement, Jersey unmarked
1611* wine cup St Martin, Jersey unmarked
1624 wine cup St Clement, Jersey unmarked
1633 wine cups St John, Jersey unmarked
1634 wine cups St Lawrence, Jersey unmarked
1634 wine cups St John, Jersey unmarked
1659 wine cup St Clement, Jersey TB
1659 wine cup Trinity, Jersey unmarked
1666* wine cup Trinity, Jersey unmarked
1671 baptismal dish St Peter, Jersey unmarked
1677 platter St John, Jersey Thomas Durell
1683 wine cup Trinity, Jersey unmarked
1684 wine cups Grouville, Jersey Abraham Hébert
1688 platter Grouville William Young
1699 platters St Saviour, Guernsey unmarked
1702 baptismal dish St Clement, Jersey unmarked
1704 platter St Helier Robert Barbedor
1714 wine cup St Sampson, Guernsey IS
1727 paten Torteval, Guernsey IH
1727 paten St Pierre-du-Bois, Guernsey IH
1729 baptismal ewer Câtel, Guernsey IH (stolen)
1729 baptismal ewer St Saviour, Guernsey unmarked
1729 baptismal ewer St Pierre-du-Bois, Guernsey IH
1729 baptismal ewer St Andrew, Guernsey IH
1731 alms dish St Helier, Jersey Jean Gavey
1735 salver Forêt, Guernsey Guillaume Henry (stolen)
1740 platter St Helier Jean Gavey
1747 wine cup St Martin, Jersey Jean Gavey
1748 baptismal dish St Lawrence, Jersey Jean Gavey
1750 baptismal dish St Aubin, Jersey Jean Gavey
1750 collecting jugs St Aubin, Jersey Jean Gavey
1756 flagon Forêt, Guernsey Pierre Maingy
1757 salver St Sampson, Guernsey Guillaume Henry
1758 footed paten Forêt, Guernsey Jean Perchard
1762 wine cup Trinity, Jersey unmarked
1765 wine cup Sark Guillaume Henry
1766 Ewers St Helier Pierre Amiraux
1767 wine cups St Helier Pierre Amiraux
1768 flagon Câtel, Guernsey Pierre Amiraux (stolen)
1775 baptismal dish St Peter, Jersey Pierre Amiraux
1777 wine cups St Helier Pierre Amiraux
1781 ewer Grouville Jacques Quesnel
1782 baptismal dish Grouville Jacques Quesnel
1795 chalice and paten Jacques Quesnel

There are also two London-made wine cups with hallmarks of 1698 at Forêt, Guernsey, whose marks are overstruck by Robert Barbedor.

1771 Law

The Jersey Code des Lois of 1771 provided that all goldsmith's work should be marked, and in theory no unmarked pieces should postdate this. The latest unmarked piece of church plate with an inscribed date is of 1762.

In addition, there exist wine cups used for the private communion of individual families. Although at times kept in the parish church, these remained the property of the family which provided and used them. The clearest example is undated but is inscribed E.B.L. FAMILLE EMILY DE LA TRINITÉ, and belonged to the Emily family of Trinity, Jersey. Other wine cups now in private hands may have been used in this way, and it is possible that some beakers served the same purpose, as they are known to have done in Cornwall, the earliest known being one of circa 1700 at St Ervan.

That wine cups intended for communion might be kept elsewhere, even if intended for the use of the congregation as a whole, is apparent from the theft, from the manor, of two of the Trinity wine cups between 1681 and 1696. That privately owned silver might be loaned to the church, perhaps being donated at the death of the lender, is suggested by the inscription Plat à par tenant à la P.A.Royce de St Sauveur 1699, which appears on a pair of platters at St Saviour, Guernsey.

Most antique church plate seems to have been sold off in the 19th century, and it was often disposed of on the assumption that it would be melted down, and that the metal would be used in the fabrication of new church silver, thereby honouring the original donors. However, the pieces disposed of were generally of little individual weight, and could be sold at a substantial premium over this as curios.

They could also, if of sufficient merit, have been sold to goldsmiths such as Singer's of Frome, Somerset, who would record their designs for new church and civic plate of "medieval" design, and then sell them on. The paten of circa 1500 at Melksham Forest, Wiltshire, donated in 1876, appears to have survived in this way. Much of the Channel Islands church silver, however, was of domestic type, and the wine cups and platters may have been passed on as antique domestic articles, perhaps after having their inscriptions erased. A number of pieces that are now missing, therefore, could still be in existence:

Câtel, Guernsey

Stolen 13 April 1913

  • Two wine cups by I H, inscribed Pour l'Eglise du Câtel
  • A footed salver by Guillaume Henry, bearing his R mark only, inscribed Pour l'usage de l'Eglise de la Paroisse du Câtel a Guernesey du don de Dame Marie de Sausmarez en l'an 1735
  • Flagon by Pierre Amiraux, inscribed Don de Charles Mollet Senr. a l'Eglise du Castel l'an 1768 on the body, and 72 once 1/4 Isle de Guernesey, on the base.

St Andrew, Guernsey

Sold as scrap metal in London in 1859

  • Wine cup, inscribed and dated 1702
  • Wine cup, inscribed and dated 1704
  • Paten, no description available

St Pierre-du-Bois, Guernsey

Sold as scrap metal to Jean le Page II of St Peter Port in 1831

  • Large wine-cup, weighing 18oz 4½dwt., perhaps inscribed Don du Sr Thomas Massy, fils Leonard, à l'Eglise de St Pierre-du- Bois, 1695
  • Platter, weighing 24oz 10½dwt., perhaps inscribed Don du Sr James Paint
  • Two old wine cups, uninscribed, weighing together 24oz 6dwt
  • A small wine cup, weighing 5oz 9dwt
  • A baptismal cup (dish?), weighing 8oz 3dwt, and perhaps inscribed Don d'Elizabeth le Mesurier Veuve du Sr Pierre le Mesurier, 1729

St Peter Port, Guernsey

Sold as scrap metal in 1847

  • Flagon, inscribed A la Paroisse de St Pierre Port en Guernesey, and an engraving of the east side of the church, on the body, and Elie le Fresne, Recteur, Samuel le Cocq, Samuel Bonamy, Curateurs 1752, either beneath or on the base. A rubbing of the engraving of the church is held at the Lukis Museum, St Peter Port
  • Two wine cups, inscribed in the foot A la Paroisse de St Pierre Port, du Don de James et Judith de Beauvoir.
  • Wine cup, inscribed Don de Monsieur Josias le Marchant. Pour l'Eglise de St Pierre Port.
  • Salver, inscribed in the border Don fait ci-devant a l'Eglise de St Pierre Port en l'isle de Guernesé en coupes par Mr Jean de Quetteville senior Mr James et Dlle Judith de Beauvoir, et Dlle Jean Bouchet,changées en ce plat. diameter 17".
  • Paten, engraved in the centre with a church in an Italian style. A rubbing of this engraving is held at the Lukis Museum, Guernsey. diameter 10 3/4".

English and Continental

In addition to the locally-made church silver, Channel Island churches also own a number of antique English and Continental pieces of interest. In the list which follows, some pieces are dateable by hallmark, some by inscription, and some by both. Two columns of dates are therefore given, the first showing that of the hallmark, and the second, that of the inscription.

Hallmark Inscription
1598 Wine cup at St Lawrence, by E R of London.
1606? Flagon at Elizabeth Castle by W R of London.
1620 Standing cup at St Ouen, by M of Nuremburg, Germany.
1621 Paten at Elizabeth Castle, with indistinct London marks.
1624 Wine cup at St Ouen, by R.S. of London.
1627 Wine cup at St Ouen, with indistinct London marks.
1635 1662 Wine cup at St Ouen, made into a flagon, by F I? Of London
1638 1638 Wine cups at St Ouen, by D.G. of London
1638 Platter at St Ouen, by E.S. of London
1638 Wine cups at St Saviour, with London marks (lost)
1640? Communion cup at Elizabeth Castle, with indistinct London marks
1640 1604 Wine cup at St Ouen, by I.B. of London
1646 Oval platter at St Peter, by I.M. of London
1646 Platter at St Lawrence, by I.C., with an uncertain English provincial mark.
1613 1628 Wine cup at St Clement, by T.F.of London
1676 Platter at St Ouen, by I.N. of London
1676 Dish at St Brelade, by A.N.? of Santiago de Campostella, Spain.
1684? 1716 Alms dishes at St Saviour, by C.L.? of London
1685 1686 Baptismal dish at St Helier, by S.N. of London
1694 1694 Platter at Forêt, Guernsey, by T.R.?? of London
1696 Platter at St Pierre-du-Bois, Guernsey, by John Spackman of London
1696 Footed paten at St Pierre-du-Bois, Guernsey, by L.S.

of London.

1698 Wine cups at Forêt, Guernsey, with London maker's marks overstruck by Robert Barbedor
1698 1699 Wine cups at St Saviour, Guernsey, by T.K.? of London
1699 Flagon at St Ouen, by Ralph Leake of London
1699 1700 Platter at St Saviour, by Samuel Hood? of London
1718 1718 Baptismal dish at St Saviour, by David Tanqueray of London
1734 1734 Flagon at St Saviour, Guernsey, by Joseph Smith of London. The original leather case also survives
1739 Wine cups at St Saviour, by Thomas Farren of London
1749 1749 Wine cups at St Aubin, by T.C. & R.G.? of London
1749 1750 Platter at St Aubin, by John Swift of London
1771 1771 Platter at Câtel, Guernsey, by Walter Brind of London (stolen)
1778 1779 Salver at Forêt, Guernsey, by John Schofield of London
1781 Wine cups at St Pierre-du-Bois, Guernsey, by Charles Wright of London
1789 1790 Ewer at Forêt, Guernsey, by Hester Bateman of London.
1800 Cream jug used as ewer at St Sampson, Guernsey, by S E of London. Another is reported on Sark
1804 1804 Wine cups at St Clement, by John Bridge of London.
1806 1806 Baptismal dish at St Ouen, by Peter and William Bateman of London
1807 1807 Flagon at St Saviour, by William Bateman of London
1807 Wine cups at St Saviour, by John Bridge of London
1808 1808 Baptismal dish at St Brelade, by Peter and William Bateman of London
1811 1811 Flagon at St Brelade, by Peter and William Bateman of London
1815 1816 Wine cups at St Sampson, Guernsey, by William Bateman of London
1816 1816 Footed platter at St Sampson, Guernsey, by William Bateman of London
1816 1816 Oval dish at St Sampson, Guernsey, by William Bateman of London
1816 1816 Flagon at St Sampson, Guernsey, by William Bateman of London
1824 1826 Paten at St Helier, by William Bateman of London
1826 Wine strainer at St Helier, with indistinct London marks.
1831 1833 Flagon at St-Pierre-du-Bois, Guernsey, by William Bateman of London
1833 1833 Flagons at St Peter, by Jonathan Hayne of London
1834 1834 Alms dish at Trinity, by William Bateman of London
1843 1844 Alms dishes at St Clement, by Charles Reily and George Storer of London
1843 1884 Platters at St Lawrence, by Charles Reily and George Storer of London.
1846 Flagon at St Peter Port, by John James Keith of London
1846 Chalices at St Peter Port, by John James Keith of London
1846 Alms dish at St.Peter Port, by John James Keith of London
1846 Patens at St Peter Port, by John James Keith of London
1846 1884 Footed paten at St Aubin, by GS of London
1850 Flagon at St John, by John Keith of London
1851 1851 Footed paten at St Mary, by George John Richards of London
1854 1855 Wine cup at Grouville, by Edward and John Barnard of London
1855 1855 Flagon at St Mary, by Charles Boyton of London
1859 1860 Alms boxes at St Brelade, by George Richards and Edward Brown of London
1861 1880 Wine cup at St Martin, by Josiah Williams of Bristol, with Exeter hallmarks
1861 1880 Salver at St Martin, by Josiah Williams of Bristol, with Exeter hallmarks
Two-handled bowl at Grouville, by Josiah Williams of Bristol, bearing his maker's mark only
1877 1877 Footed paten at St Martin, by Robert Hennel of London
1877 1877 Flagon at St Martin, by Robert Hennel of London
1877 1749 Flagon at St Aubin made from wine cups, by Walter and

John Barnard of London

1883 1888 Patens at St Peter, by John Figg of London
1888 1888 Paten at St Aubin, by Walter and John Barnard of London
Personal tools
other Channel Islands
contact and contributions

Please support Jerripedia with a donation to our hosting costs