Sir John Gavey
Electrical engineer Sir John Gavey (1842-1923) was the only son of Capt John Gavey of the merchant navy and Elizabeth Jeanne Falle. He was educated at Victoria College.
He received his professional training under Sir William Preece in the service of the Electric International Company.
When the telegraph system was nationalised he was appointed Superintendent of the South Eastern Division in 1870 and of the Great Western Division two years later.
He became Superintending Engineer of the South Wales District in 1878 and following further promotions he was Engineer in Chief from 1902 to 1908, when he became a consulting engineer.
He was closely associated with all the telegrapnhic and telephone developments of the Post Office for over 40 years. He was president of the Institution of Electrical Engineers.
He was made a Companion of the Bath in 1903 and kinghted four years later.
On his retirement he lived at Hampton Court, where he died in 1923. He married Mary de Gruchy in 1870 and had two sons and three daughters.